- Courage doesn’t happen when you have all the answers. It happens when you are ready to answer the questions you have avoided all your life Shannon L Adler
- A house divided against itself cannot stand Abraham Lincoln
- And a rock feels no pain; and an island never cries Paul Simon, songwriter
- Self care is not selfish. You cannot serve from an empty vessel Anon
- You were born to be real, not perfect Anon
- If you don’t start it’s certain you won’t arrive Anon
- Life isn’t waiting for the storm to be over, it is about learning to dance in the rain Anon
- The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step Lao Tzu
Our sessions last for one hour and are usually on the same day and at the same time each week. They take place in a safe and peaceful environment. The initial appointment is about understanding what is bringing you to counselling and together we decide whether counselling is the best way forward for you.
It is a model that uses psychoanalytic concepts to explain human growth and development, and the nature of psychological problems. Counsellors are not analysts and they can expect to work in a broad range of settings, with both long and short term clients.
Psychodynamic counselling uses the therapeutic relationship to gain insight into unconscious relationship patterns that evolved since childhood. Memories and other evidence of early relationships are used to make sense of current concerns. The process of change occurs as clients become more aware of the power of the unconscious, including defence mechanisms, instincts and rules for life, to influence behaviour, and hence more able to control their actions and responses.
The therapeutic relationship in contemporary psychodynamic counselling is based on acceptance, empathy and understanding, with an emphasis on developing a good working alliance that fosters trust. The counsellor takes account of the real world of the client, including the impact of trauma, cultural difference, sexual orientation, disability and social context.
Source: University of Leister